I really wanted to get fancy one night and blow some friends out of the water with a crazy, cool summer cocktail. With so many recipes out there, I wanted something light, fresh and colorful to pair with some amazing farmers market finds we have harvested earlier that day. So! I decided to make a spin off the traditional mash with simple ingredients found that morning and voila: Watermelon, Cherry and Blueberry Basil Vodka Smash was born.
Watermelon, Cherry and Blueberry Basil Vodka Smash
- Half fresh, seedless watermelon
- 1 small container of fresh blueberries
- 1 small container of fresh cherries, pitted
- 4 sprigs of fresh basil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups Vodka (or to taste!)
- Garnish: cocktail skewers, 5 frozen blue berries each and small basil leaves
- Large pitcher
- For garnish, prepare frozen blueberries ahead of time by adding to small cocktail skewer and place in freezer for about 2 hours or until completely frozen (you’ll know their frozen through when they have a white frost around them!)
- In a medium bowl, slice then smash your half watermelon
- Using your strainer, drain your watermelon juice into the large pitcher (make sure you get all the juice!)
- Pit your cherries and add to the large pitcher
- Add blueberries
- With a muddler, smash all fruit together until you most all pulp and juices are extracted; set aside in the refrigerator
- In a small sauce pan, add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and basil sprigs and reduce until sugar has disolved, stirring occasionally.
- Once disolved, turn off heat and remove basil springs
- Take your large pitcher and strain the juice into a bowl, removing all smashed fruit
- Add 1/3 cup basil simple syrup and all juices back into the pitcher, stir lightly
- Prepare glasses and add 1 shot of Vodka, ice and fruit juice
- Garnish with frozen blueberry skewer, basil leaf and serve!
This certainly was a hit, I must say. But careful, these go down easy! Coming up with all different cocktail recipes has become one of my favorite pass times– there are so many combinations! With more to come, keep checking back for some great recipes to enjoy year ’round!