This decadent sammie is made on “special occasion Sundays” where we really gorge on this creamy, cheesy and salty treat in ultimate slow-motion. You must savor every bite. Traditionally a French dish, Croque Monsieur, the Croque Madame has an egg on top, served with a small side salad and said to resemble a woman’s Sunday hat–which I could not agree more with. #ChefAdrian has really mastered the art of making food special and this dish is at the tip top of his repertoire. See below to make this dish at home and I hope you can savor every bite, like I do!
Croque Madame Sandwich
- 8 slices of brioche or sourdough bread
- 4 eggs, sunny side up
- 8 to 12 slices of good quality ham
- 8 slices of Gruyere or Emmentaler cheese
- 6 oz. butter, divided
- 2 TS flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 bag mixed greens
- ¼ red onion, shaved thin
- 2 TS extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt 1 ounce butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes (do not allow it to brown).
- Add the milk and nutmeg and cook, stirring from time to time, until the mixture thickens like a soup, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan and remove from the heat.
Assembling the sandwiches
- Preheat your broiler
- Arrange 4 slices of bread on a cutting board.
- Top each slice with 2 to 3 slices of ham.
- Place 2 slices of cheese on each sandwich and add 1 TS béchamel sauce over the cheese.
- Top each with another slice of bread.
- Heat a large frying pan and, when hot, add half of the remaining butter.
- Add 2 of the sandwiches and brown on one side, 2 minutes.
- Turn on the other side and brown 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
- Spread the remaining béchamel on top of the sandwiches.
- Cook 4 eggs sunny side up.
- While eggs are cooking, place the sandwiches under the broiler and broil until the top turns golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Season the eggs with salt & pepper and top each sandwich with a fried egg.
- In a separate bowl, toss mixed greens, shaved onion, lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Divide the salad equally among for plates and serve alongside the sandwiches.
Prendre plaisir! (Enjoy!)